SAU Joint Board GovernanceA. SAU #16 SCHOOL DISTRICTS: The School Districts of Brentwood, East Kingston, Exeter, Kensington, Newfields, Stratham, and Exeter Region Cooperative shall constitute SAU #16.
B. SAU BOARD: The combined school boards of the school districts.
C. VOTING RIGHTS: 194-C:7 Representation. Every school district maintaining one or more public schools shall be entitled to 3 votes on the joint board of school administrative units, plus additional votes as provided in RSA 194-C:8. Districts not maintaining schools shall have one representative on the joint board, who shall be entitled to one vote. Each school district board member present shall be entitled to have a proportionate share of the school district's votes provided that the total votes per district shall be equally divided among the district's board members present and cast as each member present decides on any issue.
194-C:8 Weighted Voting. In all votes regarding school administrative unit affairs, including the organization of such unit's school board and selection of officers, each district shall be entitled to one vote for each 16 pupils residing in that district and enrolled in schools under the administrative unit. A balance of 8 or more students shall entitle that district to an additional vote. A balance of fewer than 8 students shall have no net effect on a district's vote. Enrollments shall be based on the average daily membership in residence of each district for the school year which ended in the preceding June. Weighted votes shall only be used upon the demand of a majority of the members of any board present and voting in the school administrative unit. The school board members present at a school administrative unit school board meeting shall be entitled to cast the entire number of votes assigned to their school districts, provided that each representative present shall be entitled to a proportionate share of the total to be cast as provided in RSA 194-C:7."
D. POWERS AND DUTIES: The SAU Board is empowered to:
1. Elect, when necessary, a Superintendent.
2. Act upon the Superintendent's nominations for SAU professional staff.
3. Fix the salaries of all SAU personnel.
4. Adopt a budget for the expenses of the SAU.
5. Adopt policies affecting the SAU.
E. VACANCY ON THE BOARD: Any vacancy on the SAU Board shall be filled in accordance with the statute governing the Board of the school district of the resigned member.
F. ELECTION OF SAU EXECUTIVE STAFF: When a vacancy occurs in the executive staff, the Superintendent shall establish a screening committee, and serve as its Chair (except if the Superintendent's position is being vacated).
G. EMPLOYMENT OF OFFICE PERSONNEL: All other SAU personnel shall be recommended for employment by their immediate supervisor and approved by the Superintendent of Schools.
1. Quorum: A quorum of the SAU Board shall consist of at least representation from four local school boards (Brentwood, East Kingston, Exeter, Kensington, Newfields, Stratham) and representation of the Exeter Region Cooperative School Board. For the purpose of a quorum, representation of a school board shall consist of at least representation of one-third of its members.
2. Annual: The SAU Board shall meet annually between April 1 and June 1 in each year, at a time and place fixed by the Chair. The Board shall organize by electing the following officers:
The Board shall elect the executive staff members for the next fiscal year and fix the salaries of all SAU personnel.
3. Semi-Annual: The SAU Board shall hold a meeting between October 15 and December 15 in each year for the purpose of preparing a recommended budget for the next fiscal year for the expenses of the SAU.
4. Budget Hearing - Public: There shall be held within the SAU at a time and place specified by the SAU Board Chair, a public hearing upon the recommended budget. The SAU Board shall adopt a budget, following the public hearing, for the next fiscal year.
5. Special Meetings: The SAU Board may hold special meetings at the call of the Chair or at the request of any one of the member school boards.
6. Notification of Meetings and Procedure:
a. Except in emergencies, written notice of each meeting is expected from the Superintendent's office well in advance of the appointed time and legally posted in accord with RSA 91-A:2.
b. The public budget hearing shall be held in an appropriate facility centrally located.
c. An agenda shall be prepared by the Superintendent of Schools for each Board member prior to the meeting. Items will not be included for action of the SAU Board at a meeting unless submitted to the Superintendent of Schools four days prior to the day of the meeting.
d. The SAU Board may go into non-public session by a majority vote of the members, in accordance with RSA 91-A:3.
e. A caucus of reasonable duration may be called by any one of the member school boards. The SAU Board will recess while individual boards are holding a caucus.
I. ANNUAL AUDIT: The SAU Board shall authorize an audit of the SAU accounts annually.
J. NON-DISCRIMINATORY POLICY: The SAU Board does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, marital status, disability, or national origin in the educational programs or activities which it operates and that are required by Titles VI and IX.
K. ADMINISTRATIVE AUTHORITY: The Superintendent of Schools is the chief executive officer of the school districts and, in his/her absence, an Assistant Superintendent will act as deputy chief administrative officer with the same power and responsibilities as vested in the Superintendent.
L. BUDGET APPROVAL: The SAU board in adopting the budget shall not add any new service to the school administrative unit budget unless a majority of the school districts in the school administrative unit representing not less than 60 percent of the total pupils in the school administrative unit have voted favorably upon the establishment of the service. (§ 194-C:9)
SAU Joint BoardThe SAU Joint Board meets multiple times each year, with meetings traditionally in September, December (budget meeting), February (evaluation meeting), and May. It consists of 33 individual members from the 7 school boards:
- Brentwood School Board - 5 members
- East Kingston School Board - 3 members
- Exeter School Board - 5 members
- Exeter Region Cooperative School Board - 9 members
- Kensington School Board - 3 members
- Newfields School Board - 3 members
- Stratham School Board - 5 members
The Joint Board hires the Superintendent of Schools, and provides oversight to the hiring of SAU Administration and support staff. The Joint Board has budget responsibilities for SAU activities, i.e. technology, staff development, business services, administration, etc.